Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reflection Logs Start This Week!


In an effort to encourage students to become more aware of their evolution as learners, and to provide both myself and parents with more insight as to how my students are enjoying school life, I have designed an interactive reflection system that will enable students to express their concerns, opinions, and/or experiences at the end of each school day. Every Friday your child will bring home his or her reflection log to share with you over the weekend.
In addition to your child’s input, I have also incorporated a colour coded rating system (green for “good”, yellow for “satisfactory, and red for “needs improvement”) that I will fill in daily regarding your child’s behaviour, attitude, efforts, and work habits for that particular day. This process will allow me the opportunity to discuss my learning and/or classroom expectations privately with your child on a daily basis, and together we can brainstorm or review strategies for any areas that may need improvement. This system will also provide parents with a better understanding of what kinds of issues may be arising within the classroom. Circles will only be coloured “red” if repeated warnings have been given and there continued to be ongoing issues throughout the day. Red circles will be accompanied by a brief explanation. I will also try my best to include weekly comments addressed to the student on the back of each sheet in order to let them know that I value their efforts and am aware of their concerns. Recommendations for activities or skills that a student may need to practise or work on at home will also be included.
Please take a few moments each weekend to go over the weekly reflection sheet with your child. Feel free to note any praise, concerns, comments, or suggestions that you or your child may have regarding his or her school experiences, or any other relevant issues that you would like me to know about in the “Parent/Student Comments” section of the sheet. Also kindly remember to sign and have your child sign the sheet so that I know that it has been seen and discussed. I will be checking the logs for comments and signatures as they are returned to school with your child every Monday morning.
Thank you very much for your cooperation with this new endeavour. Your input and participation in this reflection process are greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Ms. Janice Bednarz